Work Experience forms part of Work Related Learning and is part of the learning entitlement for all pupils. This process engages pupils in learning about work; through work and for work. At Jamaitul Ummah School, Work Related Learning has an important contribution to make to the education of all pupils in order for them to make an effective transition from school to adulthood and to employment.
Work Experience is defined as: “a placement on employers’ premises in which a learner carries out a particular task or duty or range of tasks or duties, more or less as would an employee, but with the emphasis on the learning aspects of the experience.”
At Jamiatul Ummah School, the process of Work Experience is part of careers education and personal development. It aims to give pupils the opportunities to:
- gain an insight into a career or chosen occupation and to experience day to day aspects of employment
- learn beyond the confines of the organised curriculum
- understand their own strengths and areas for development
- build confidence and independence
- connect their learning with working lives
- work as part of a team
- develop skills of self-evaluation
- demonstrate organisational skills
- understand the importance of matters relating to Health and Safety and Equal Opportunities
Work Experience placements occur in Year 10 for two weeks in the Summer Term. They are organised and coordinated by Heads of Years.